Monday, November 2, 2015

M.A.D Syndrome

-by guest blogger, author Isabella Redwood



M.A.D – Marketing. Argh. Dread.



When I began my self-publishing journey, marketing was one aspect that I gave little thought to. I was too busy preparing my novel, getting cover design sorted and having it edited. Once that was complete, I concentrated on formatting and proofreading until my eyes turned red. Marketing was the furthest thing from my mind and now I am paying for it.

After setting my book up on Amazon with KDP Select, my numbers were steady and the only marketing I had to do, if you can even call it that, was during promotional times. Amazon was sending me emails trying to sell me my book, and I assumed they were doing the same to others. I was doing better than I had hoped for from a sales point of view.

The problem started when I left KDP after my 90-day period had finished. I had been amazon exclusive and now what was I going to do?

I had no plan and no ideas.



In the end, (title of my book. Lame joke, Isabella… Moving on ) ; ) I did nothing. I fell into the M.A.D category and just the thought of it had me running for the hills, hands over ears and humming to drown the thoughts away.

I am not a sales person. I cannot do it. No, no, no.

Three months later, I re-joined KDP. I am bobbing in a sea of millions of other books and until I can get over my M.A.D syndrome, I will no doubt remain hidden.

Do not make my mistake. Dedicate time to figure out your strategy. The book is important, but marketing is too. Have a plan. Get someone else to help you. Don't stick your head in the sand and think your book will sell itself. This to me is the hardest aspect of self-publishing and the lesson I have paid for from my neglect.

Oh, to have a team of experts in your corner, plotting out the perfect campaign for you and all you need to do is write. Dreams…

Self-publishing is extremely hard work, long after you have formatted the last page. Of all the lessons I have learnt, this is the most obvious, yet conveniently overlooked element.

Any marketing tips to share?

 

Bio


Isabella Redwood is the author of The Butterfly Series, a new adult romantic thriller trilogy.

Book one, In The End is currently on amazon for sale here.
Book two, The Beginning and book three, Echo will be available soon!



Links


Connect with Isabella Redwood through these sites:

No comments:

Post a Comment